Peanut Butter Pad Thai

I'm not going to pretend that this is even close to the traditional form of Pad Thai, because I've seen the youtube comments towards those professing to create the dish, and it seems to be a controversial subject.

For those who have no opinion, let alone awareness of the delicacy, wikipedia declares that Pad Thai is a combination of rice noodles, shrimp and tofu stir-fried in tamarind, egg, beansprouts and chopped peanuts.

My version contains the key ingredients of rice noodles (vermicelli) and egg, but I have swapped the seafood for chicken and added a few extra things I had in the fridge.

Authentic or not, it worked out well and the recipe was worth remembering. As usual the ingredients are interchangeable and open to interpretation, I'd love to hear about your attempts!

Serves 2:

1.Noodles
150g Rice Noodles

Add nest to bowl of boiling water, set aside

2.Sauce
60 ml fish sauce
60 ml toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp tamarind paste
3 splashes soy sauce
Cap full cider vinegar
1 tsp each minced garlic, ginger, chilli
Pinch hot chilli powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp peanut butter

Add all ingredients to mug, microwave for 20 secs to melt PB, stir and set aside.

3.Chicken
Splash toasted sesame oil
1/2 chicken breast, thinly sliced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced chilli
1/2 tsp ground ginger
Few mills black pepper
2 eggs

Bring wok to high heat with oil and add chicken and seasonings. Fry until white and push to side of the wok. Crack eggs into center and let cook for around one minute. Scramble for another minute and add:

4.Veg
1/4 savoy cabbage, shredded
8 baby button mushrooms, halved
1 carrot, julienned or chopped thinly
1/2 chopped romaine lettuce
Small handful pumpkin seeds

Continue to fry in wok for around 5 mins until veg is softened but not mushy. Keep eggs to the side to prevent overcooking.

5.Garnish
Add sauce to wok and heat for around 2 mins. Serve into bowls with extra black pepper, a pinch of fresh coriander and a wedge of lime.


I've split the steps and ingredients up like this to make the dish look less intimidating, As a long list this looks a bit daunting but it really is simple and comes together in less than around half an hour, including chopping time. For an easy-to-refer-to infographic, here is the photo of my plan for this post:

2 comments:

  1. This looks really good! I love Pad Thai but I've only made it once, it didn't turn out that well as I used sweet tamarind sauce instead of the proper tamarind paste- it didn't have that sour kick it needs! Now I'm lucky enough to have a really good Thai restaurant round the corner with very reasonably priced Pad Thai... so I just get theirs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know much about tamarind so didn't know there was a difference, but I'll have to check mine, I love the sweet and salty combination. I'll have to order Pad Thai next time I'm out and compare..

      Delete